What is Relay for Life?
- Overnight relay-style event
- Teams of people camp out around a track
- Members of each team take turns walking around the track for the duration of the event
- Food, games and activities provide entertainment and fundraising opportunities
- Family-friendly environment for the entire community
Because it’s a Relay, you’re not required to be there the entire time…but it’s so fun, you’ll probably find it hard to leave!
What is the importance of the Relay for Life Luminaria?
After dark, we honor people who have been touched by cancer and remember loved ones lost to the disease during the Luminaria Ceremony. Candles are lit inside bags filled with sand, each one bearing the name of a person touched by cancer, and participants often walk a lap in silence.
You can dedicate a luminaria!
Simple white luminaria bags are transformed and illuminated after dark at every local Relay For Life event. Each one is personalized with the name, photo, message or drawing in memory or honor of a friend or loved one who has been affected by cancer. Each luminaria candle represents a person. They are our mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, friends, coworkers and so much more!
Check out this great new commercial that has been out to support the Relay for Life Luminaria event:
Have you participated in a Relay for Life event? Leave us a comment and let us know your experience!