I took a work assignment that has me travel some back in August. I have worked at the same company for over 8.5 years now and this is the first assignment where I travel. Thankfully the travel isn’t much but it still is required. Now is when I should add the disclaimer that I am not a good traveler. Just like I am not a good commuter.
I am starting to get a little routine with this traveling stuff though. Like my little plastic bag for the airport … my book bag stuffed with everything I won’t check … my slip on shoes so I can be lazy at security … knowing to put my laptop in a separate bin from my book bag … the travel system is getting there for me.
So what is The Business Traveling Mom? It is my little story about my business travel from the mom point of view.
Today I left Virginia and came out to St. Louis. This the furthest West I have been so that is exciting. I saw the big arch on my way from St Louis airport to O’Fallon, IL (I wish I knew how to say the name of this place!) I am an East Coast girl for sure. aye.
Highlights from today’s travels …
- The little plane ride from small town VA to Charlotte, NC wasn’t bad this time. The bounce at touch down though ALWAYS get me. ALWAYS.
- The young dude (does it make me old to call him young?) talked to the middle age dude across the aisle about the “hot” stewardess half the plane ride. ::roll eyes:: Bless that young girl for putting up with idiots like that.
- The guy that sat next to me from Charlotte, NC to St. Louis used to live in my hometown. He lived in the neighborhood next to the high school I went. Small world. Small world.
- My rental car smelled like an air freshener exploded in it. I don’t know what smelled so bad in that car prior to the air freshener explosion but it must of been BAD.
- I have added another item to my rental car check list (find lights, find wipers, turn on radio, fix AC) and it is to make sure the side mirror isn’t folded in. I got on the highway and realized the passenger side mirror was folded in. WHAT?! ugh.
- My Sophie cried on the phone tonight because she missed me. I almost lost it at the baggage claim at the airport. My husband reported she calmed down quickly though.
- Every little kid I see reminds me of my kids. EVERY.SINGLE.KID!=/
- I am thankful that McDonald’s has sweet tea even out here. I was needing something to remind me of home and I was worried they won’t sell out here in the north.
- I wonder how much of an accent I have these folks out here. I don’t really have a strong accent but I had someone during my recent FL trip tell me I had a strong Southern accent (they were from CA.) They need to visit SC. I can show them a real accent there … and to think I used to have that accent myself!
Now if I can just figure out this time zone change thing …
(The Business Traveling Mom)